Want a Habanos T-Shirt? Go Here ->

Friday, February 19, 2010

Davidoff Dom Perignon (1978)










Produced: 1978
Made by: Julieta 2
Size: Parejo
Ring Gauge: 47
Length: 7 inches
Purchased: Alexanders, Melbourne, 2005.

“Smoke less, but better and longer – make a cult of it, even a philosophy!”, Zino Davidoff


Today is my birthday and the day before I leave for the 13th Annual Habanos Festival in Havana.  Knowing all to well that I will be sampling a huge variety of incredible Habanos over the next week, I decide to make this smoke a special occasion.


We are having dinner at Taverna Tony's in Malibu.  This is an old reliable place for some great Greek food.  And I am an expert in Greek food, since I was born and raised in Melbourne.... which has the largest population of Greeks outside of Athens.  In fact, I am travelling with a group of Greeks to Havana as part of the Pacific Cigar Group Distributors.


I have been coming to Tony's ever since it was changed from the Tex Mex joint that Ali McGraw started over 25 years ago.  Tony is great and always greets me with open arms, and yes, he is the only 5 foot 300 pound greek guy that I will actually hug.  


Back in the day he would let me and my friends smoke cigars up in the indoor balcony.  We had some really great evenings, with great food and wine, which is always very well stocked.


The Taverna is somewhat of a hangout for the Hollywood crowd (at left Tony is helping Ms. Spears), but don't let that deter you.  It's very private and low-key and the service is spectacular.




THE SMOKE
Of-course any Cuban Davidoff comes with an incredible amount of expectation and promise.  Much of this is due to Davidoff himself.  Synonymous with luxury, the Davidoff brand for years has produced the finest clothes, fragrances and cigars.  Davidoff cigars have been long heralded as the symbol of luxury and decadence.  And they are headquartered in my favorite city, Geneva, home of the Cafe de Paris, Rohr Chocolates, Gerard Pere et Fils, and the UN.









Davidoff was a man with a great sense of humour and a well-developed feeling for the beautiful things in life. An artist; who understood people, and respected them. Who never lost sight of his purpose; to enrich life through enjoying its good things.  Who even as a successful businessman remained true to himself and to his principles. Zino Davidoff believed in simplicity, in the complete enjoyment of life. 
This Dom Perignon I'm smoking (and which Zino is holding in the photo above) lives up to his mission.  It is showing it's over 30 years in age and frankly, it's probably past it's prime, but I can't help feel it's a great smoke.  As I get to the half-way point it strengthens and develops more character.  I only have 8 of these left and decide that perhaps they should be smoked over the next couple of years.  
Another winter storm is starting to hit SoCal and I need to finish my packing for Havana... now where are those ziploc bags?




Rating: (2) AVERAGE
(5) Classic, (4) Outstanding, (3) Very Good, (2) Average, (1) Don’t Bother
Humidor: SMOKE NOW
Smoke Now, Smoke Soon:1–3 Years, Put Away:3–7 Years, Vault:7-12 Years, Inheritance Gift:12+ Years

No comments: